Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A Kingdom of Culture


As a person who holds the political position of monarchy, it's very hard to imagine that monarchy will ever take a legitimate hold again. As much as I long for it and see it's potential to correct some of the insanity in today's political realm, I don't see much hope for it.

 On the same front as a traditionalist who would love to see us return to our pre-industrial traditions and folk culture, it is also hard to imagine that my Anglo and Northern European heritage and culture will ever stay completely preserved in the age of globalism and forced multiculturalism. There is nothing wrong with multiculturalism, and I think that it always happens, but organically, not forced. I love other cultures, my favorite being that of Japan and China. That doesn't mean however that I wouldn't feel very out of place in Japan say around Christmas time. It wouldn't feel right without the traditions I am accustomed to.

 I recently came across an article in National Geographic. The title instantly grabbed me. "A Fairytale Kingdom Faces-Real Life Troubles" with the sub text "On the border of Estonia and Russia, the Setos struggle to create a modern identity from ancient beliefs."

 As the 20th century loomed and the political atmosphere changed, the Seto people created a cultural Kingdom to stave off modern threats to their cultural identity.

 Their religion, traditional dress and their unique singing is protected under this Kingdom. It is not politically independent, but rather culturally independent. A real firm stance against modernity

 They are represented by a council of elders and every year they select a steward of the King. My understanding is the King, is not a physical personage but a figure from their folklore and the person selected becomes the steward of this invisible King, looking after the interests of the people in a ceremonial way.

 This article fascinated me and I am very glad to see a group of people banding together to fight the modern world and maintain their cultural identity and I hope to take some inspiration from it.

 I think this sort of cultural Kingdom could be a model for those of us who wish to separate ourselves from the modern consumerist and industrial culture.

 I look forward to thinking more about this.

-Jake-

No comments:

Post a Comment